We are happy to answer your questions about the Supreme Court of the Student Body.  To save us time, however, please consult the following before emailing your questions.


Also, please note that the answers to these questions are intended to quickly orient students to the Supreme Court of the Student Body.  The answers are not a substitute for proper study of the Student Code nor do they constitute advisory opinions about the Student Code.



Joining the Student Supreme Court


1. What positions are available on the Student Supreme Court?


Students interested in participating on the Student Supreme Court may serve in one of the four associate justice positions or as chief justice.  The chief justice also appoints two volunteer administrative staff for the court, a clerk and marshal.


2. How do I become a justice?


The four associate justices and the chief justice are appointed by the Student Body President and are confirmed by a two-thirds vote of Student Congress.  Each justice is allowed to serve for the duration of his or her academic career at UNC Chapel Hill.  Therefore, in a given year, the Student Body President may not be able to appoint any justices or may only be able to fill one or two open justice positions.


Students who wish to be appointed to serve as an associate justice or as the chief justice must first apply through the external appointments process during the spring semester.  Most likely, the Student Body Vice President will send out an informational email requesting that students apply for external appointments, and the application will be available through the Student Body President’s Website. 


Typically, successful applicants for a justice position will have experience in one of the branches of student government and will be familiar with the Student Code.  However, experience working with the Student Code is not a bar to appointment, and students with extensive experience in legal research, writing, and analysis may also consider applying for a position.


For more information about the composition of the Supreme Court of the Student Body, please consult Title III of the Student Code.


3. How do I become the Chief Clerk or Marshal?


The Chief Justice of the Student Body may appoint two students to serve as clerk and marshal for the Student Supreme Court.  Appointment to either position is subject to the approval of the members of the court.


The Chief Clerk is primarily responsible for maintaining records of the proceedings of the Supreme Court of the Student Body.


The Marshal is primarily responsible for scheduling hearings and maintaining order during proceedings.



Pending Cases


1. Who should I contact about the schedule for a pending case?


Questions about the schedule for a pending case should be directed to the Chief Justice of the Student Body (or an Associate Justice if Chief is unavailable).  Please note that the Chief Clerk will notify campus media about a pending case.  Currently, the Chief Clerk is only aware of campus media listed on the UNC Chapel Hill Website.  If your organization does not appear on this site and you would like to be notified about a hearing in a pending case, please contact the Chief Clerk.


2. What information can I obtain regarding a pending case?


 Title III Sections 303 and 308 prohibit the justices staff from commenting about pending cases.



Attending the Pre-Trial Hearing & Trial


Pretrial hearings and trials are open to the public and are generally held at the University of North Carolina School of Law in the Kenan Court Room. Times and the exact location will be posted on the website when a pre-trial hearing or trial is scheduled.


If you would like to attend the pre-trial hearing or trial and have any disability concerns, please contact the Chief Justice, and the court will work with the University’s Accessibility Resources and Services to accommodate your needs.


Announcement of the Decision & Reading of Opinions


Rendering of the Court’s decision and the reading of the opinions shall generally be made from the steps of the South Building.